We provide Microsoft Office 365 software, including OneDrive for Business file storage, to College members for free.
About OneDrive for Business
OneDrive for Business provides 1TB cloud-based storage and offers greater opportunities for collaboration wherever you are working, because you can allow several people to access and work on your document at the same time. Microsoft offers a consumer based product called OneDrive. This has different usage limitations and should not be confused with OneDrive for Business which is part of Office 365.
- Data is backed up, so you can restore previous versions of files. When a file is deleted it enters a recycle bin, so you can restore it if you wish.
- Encrypting data makes the information unreadable, it can only be read using a secret key to unlock it (the process of decryption). Data encryption can be applied to both stored data (on computer drives or removable media) and data shared via networks. Data stored in OneDrive for Business is encrypted both in storage and while being shared or sent, but this does not prevent access in the event that a device is compromised. So, it's important that you encrypt any sensitive information before storing or sharing. .
- This cloud-based service is not like other external consumer cloud service providers (Dropbox, OneDrive etc.), which you can't be sure are secure. Most consumer, web-based cloud storage providers do not encrypt (protect) data adequately. This means data could be accessed, shared or lost and there have been a number of high profile cases of personal data infringements reported in the press due to storing data and photos on cloud platforms. Read about the risks associated with using less secure, consumer providers: .
- The OneDrive for Business space, accessed using your College credentials, is authenticated to meet College's standards for data security and resilience ensuring compliance to ISO27001, HIPAA and FISMA, US-EU Safe Harbor framework, EU Data Protection Directive model clauses. Our contract with Microsoft ensures that data is only held in the EU. Your data can only be accessed or viewed by you as the owner of the file, those you choose to give permission to for collaboration and not by Microsoft or anybody else.
Limitations of OneDrive for Business
The use of OneDrive for Business has certain limitations.
- The single file limit has been increased to 10GB.
- The previous storage limit of 20,000 files has been lifted.
- There are limitations when choosing folder and file names and certain character types are not supported. Microsoft has developed a quick fix tool to help you fix the naming of your files and folders prior to syncing. Find out more via Microsoft's website.
Accessing OneDrive for Business
Access to OneDrive cloud storage is included in Office 365. It can be accessed by logging into: https://login.microsoftonline.com/.
- Login with your student username (followed by @stuents.garrettcollege.edu) and your student password.
- Click on OneDrive for Business in the menu at the top of the page to activate it.