Garrett College, in co-ordination with the State of West Virginia, has developed a reciprocity agreement designed to improve access to cost-effective public higher education for designated residents of Maryland and West Virginia.

West Virginia Residents Enrolling at Garrett College

Residents of designated West Virginia counties enrolled in designated Garrett College majors may be eligible to pay in-county tuition at Garrett College.  Student enrolling under this agreement must take the required courses listed in their program major.  For more information on tuition reciprocity, contact Garrett's Admissions office.

Eligibility for this program requires the student 1) be a verifiable resident of a participating West Virginia county and 2) be enrolled in one of the specified programs as follows:

Verifiable residents of Barbour, Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Harrison, Marion, Monongalia, Pendleton, Randolph, and Taylor counties may be enrolled in the following programs:
    • Adventure Sports (AAS Degree or Certificate)
    • Elementary Education (AA Degree)
    • Electrical Engineering (ASE Degree)
    • Natural Resources & Wildlife Technology (AAS Degree)


Verifiable residents of Mineral, Pocahontas, Preston, and Tucker counties may be enrolled in the following programs:
    • Adventure Sports (AAS or Certificate)
    • Computer Applications for Business (AAS or Certificate)
    • Computer Repair/Network Technician (Certificate only)
    • Cybersecurity (AAS or Certificate)
    • Natural Resources & Wildlife Technology (AAS Degree)

Note:  Eligible counties and programs subject to change at the discretion of WV Higher Education Commission

Garrett County Residents Transferring to WVU

Garrett College students transferring to WVU in a program not available at Frostburg State University may be accepted to WVU as part of the WV Reciprocity agreement. Additionally, GC students who wish to enroll in degree programs in engineering (with the exception of mechanical engineering) or in the five year teacher education program (with the exception of students interested in teaching Math, Science, or Technology) are also covered under this reciprocity agreement.

Student must be a resident of Garrett County, Maryland, and must be enrolled as full/part-time baccalaureate degree seeking student at WVU, at either its main campus or its Potomac State College campus. Student must have an associate’s degree from Garrett College. In cases where the student’s time to baccalaureate degree completion would be extended unnecessarily by completing the associate degree requirements at GC, the student may be considered for early transfer to West Virginia University without an associate’s degree from Garrett College. Eligible students will be assessed the resident tuition and fee rates based on criteria established by WVU.

Students who wish to take advantage of WVU Tuition Reciprocity should contact Garrett’s Office of Academic Affairs.

LiveZilla Live Chat Software