October 25th, 2020
Garrett College launches new strategic plan
Plan emphasizes delivery of innovative academic and support programming
Garrett College has released a five-year strategic plan built around innovative academic programs and support services as well as long-term fiscal sustainability.
Dr. Richard Midcap, Garrett College's president, called the plan "equal parts aspirational, inspirational and practical." Don Morin, chair of the Garrett College Board of Trustees, said the plan "emphasizes meeting the educational needs of county residents in an efficient, fiscally responsible way."
The plan – which covers Fiscal Year 2021 through Fiscal Year 2025 – was developed by a broad-based team that included college faculty, staff and administrators, local business leaders and government agency representatives. It's built around four goals that deal with curriculum development, student success, market-driven programs and services, and institutional sustainability.
Midcap thanked "the more than 50 individuals who participated in the various workgroups that developed the plan." He credited Deans Julie Yoder and JR Kerns for their leadership as co-chairs of the Strategic Plan Steering Committee, noting they "kept the process focused on developing a plan with concrete objectives and measurable benchmarks."
"The strategic planning process was designed to bring forth the best ideas for how to position the College in the future," said Kerns, GC's dean of student affairs. "I believe the steering committee working groups did a great job in accomplishing that goal."
"We are really proud of the level of engagement shown by faculty, staff, the Board of Trustees, and other stakeholders throughout the development of the plan," said Yoder, the College's dean of continuing education and workforce development. "It was clear that everyone understood the importance of having a solid roadmap to guide the future of Garrett College."
Midcap said the College hopes to use this plan to build on the accomplishments of its predecessor.
"We emphasized identifying concrete initiatives we want to achieve through the plan, just as we did with the FY2017-20 plan," said Midcap, who noted some of the achievements of the 2017-20 plan, including:
- Re-accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, achieved through strengthening of assessment processes and fiscal operations.
- Development and implementation of new academic programs, including addictions counseling, sport management, professional technical studies, and a revamped computer science program.
- Design and construction of the state-of-the-art Offutt STEM Center.
- Successful completion of a $2.5 million STEM capital campaign.
- Design and construction funding for a performing arts center, currently under construction.
- Expansion of the intercollegiate athletic program, including a wrestling program that has become nationally recognized.
"I think we achieved quite a bit through the 2017-20 strategic plan," said Midcap. "I'm very confident the 2021-25 plan provides a framework for future success."
Garrett College's 2021-25 Strategic Plan can be accessed at www.garrettcollege.edu/strategicplan.