November 3rd, 2020
The College has been made aware of an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19. The individual is currently asymptomatic and isolating at home. Garrett College is following its Exposure Action Plan for a positive case, including consistent sanitizing, informing individuals at risk of exposure or in close contact, and assessing course instruction to determine if temporary actions need to be taken.
At this time, it has been determined that no close contact of any student, faculty, or staff member has occurred in this case. The College has notified individuals (students, faculty, and staff) if the COVID-19 positive person was in their class even if those individuals were not a close contact. The confidentiality of the COVID-19 positive person will be maintained.
Protecting the health and safety of the campus community requires us all to do our part to help stop the spread. To keep the campus operational and stop the spread, it is important that each individual abide by the College’s COVID protocols:
- Staying home when sick;
- Wear a face mask/covering at all times while on-campus, including in the presence of others and outdoors when socially distancing is not possible;
- Completing the Daily Health Self-Assessment before coming to campus each day;
- Social distance - maintain at least 6-foot distance between yourself and others and avoid social gatherings;
- If you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have been a close contact, report the information to the College and abide any instructions given by the College or the Health Department; and
- Abide by any other stated protocols included in the Laker Strong or the Exposure Action Plans.
The College is working diligently to address any received reports of suspected and confirmed cases, and is working closely with the Garrett County Health Department to mitigate potential impacts to the community. While we cannot mitigate all risk, we are taking the necessary steps to maintain operations in a healthy and safe manner.
All COVID-related information, including the College’s COVID Dashboard, are available on the College’s COVID-19 Resource page, located at https://www.garrettcollege.edu/covid-19. The College’s COVID Dashboard is updated on a weekly basis.