Do you want to join the fight against cybercrime? Do you like the sounds of protecting computers from unauthorized access or destruction? If you are passionate about technology and want to have help others from having their private information stolen, a career in cybersecurity may be the right decision for you. Prepare yourself for a career in the workforce and cybersecurity industry with a degree or certificate in cybersecurity from Garrett College.
Why choose Garrett for Cybersecurity?
Garrett’s Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree in Cybersecurity prepares students to enter the workforce in the cybersecurity industry. The curriculum provides students with many hands-on assignments to prepare them for real world tasks that they will encounter in their careers.
Cybersecurity Degrees Awarded
Graduates of the program earn an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Cybersecurity.
Students may also choose to pursue the Cybersecurity Certificate program. This certificate requires the completion of 24 credit hours, and can be finished in one academic year.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate the ability to incorporate information literacy skills in order to locate, evaluate and effectively use information related to Cybersecurity.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written format related to general as well as technical fields.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to engage in clear and critical analysis of situations, events, issues, ideas, and texts by fusing experience, reason, and training into considered judgment.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use computer software and industry standard network management tools to assess and diagnose security related issues.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to configure network security.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to evaluate security vulnerabilities.
- Students will be able to demonstrate the ability to install, configure, manage and secure a network.
Garrett’s Cybersecurity program prepares graduates to find employment in the cybersecurity industry and/or chosen field.
The CIS163, CIS221 and CIS222 three-course sequence prepares studentds for the CCNA certification exam.
Cybersecurity A.A.S. Degree
Total Credit Hours Required 60
GER Required Credits (22 credits)
Comp I—Expos Writing
Min. C grade required
Arts and Humanities
Intro to Communication
- GER Humanities CourseG 3
Social and Behavioral Sciences
- GER Soc & Behavioral Science Course 3
- GER Science Lab CourseG 4
or MAT210 Introductory to Statistics 3
- CIS106 Intro to Cybersecurity 3
Core Courses (38 credits)
- CIS160 Operating System 4
- CIS161 PC Maintenance & Repair 4
- CIS163 Intro to Cisco Networking 4
- CIS220 Network Fundamentals (Net+) 4
- CIS221 Advanced Routing & Switching 4
- CIS222 WAN Technologies 4
or CIS232 Advanced Network Security
or CIS235 Introduction to Cyber Law 3 or 4
- CIS233 Ethical Hacking, Countermeasure 3
G GER Courses must be on the Approved General Education Course list.