Disclosures Transfer Credit - Garrett College

Garrett College McHenry campus offices are open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

All individuals must wear a mask indoors regardless of vaccination status. Individuals are also required to complete the daily health self-assessment before coming to campus.

Note: the Daily Health Self-Assessment form is located here.

Employees and students are not required to be vaccinated at this time but are strongly encouraged to do so.

The most up-to-date information on Garrett College's response to COVID-19, can be found online at novel coronavirus/COVID-19 resource page.

Apply Now
Plan a Visit
Request Info
Make a Gift

Transferring Credits to Garrett College

Students may transfer credits into Garrett from eligible post-secondary institutions. As part of the admissions process, students who have attended one or more institutions before transferring to Garrett College submit an official transcript from each institution. Prior to a transfer student's initial advising session, a transcript analysis is completed by the Office of Records and Registration (ORR) and notification of credits accepted in transfer is sent to the student's College email. Students are also informed of the results as part of their initial advising session. A student wishing to appeal the results of a transcript evaluation should first contact the ORR to discuss the evaluation. The student may subsequently request an appeal of the ORR's decision by sending a written request to the Dean of Academic Affairs.

The following regulations apply to the transfer of credits:

  • Only official transcripts from post-secondary institutions accredited by a regional accrediting commission or approved by the American Council on Education are considered for evaluation. Transcripts must be received directly by the Office of Records and Registration in a sealed, stamped envelope or by an accepted electronic transcript service.
  • Transcripts from post-secondary institutions outside of the U.S. must be translated, certified, and evaluated by World Education Services (www.wes.org).
  • A maximum of 36 non-resident credits including transfer, military, etc., may be applied to a Garrett College degree.
  • Credits approved for transfer will be recorded on the student’s GC transcript.
  • Grades for transfer courses are not recorded on the GC transcript and are not included in the GPA calculation. As such, in the case of a repeated course, credit earned via transfer does not replace a prior grade in the cgpa calculation.
  • Credit hours for classes at a school operating on a quarter hour system are converted to Semester Hours. Each quarter hour of credit is worth 2/3 of one semester hour credit. Converted hours are rounded down to the nearest whole number.
  • Degree-seeking students must earn at least 24 credits in residence at Garrett.
  • Students seeking a certificate must take at least 12 credit hours of their program at Garrett College.
  • For credits transferred from a Maryland public institution:
    1. All applicable general education coursework with a grade of "D" or above is eligible for transfer.
    2. Non-general education coursework with a grade of "D" will be eligible only if the calculated GPA for the block of non-general education transfer courses is 2.0 or above.
  • For credits transferred from a Maryland non-public institution or an out-of-state institution:
    1. All applicable coursework with grades of “C-” or above is eligible for transfer.
    2. Applicable coursework with grades of “D” or above will only be considered if the cumulative GPA at the transfer institution is 2.0 or above.
  • Transfer coursework will be held to the same standards as native coursework. In example, if a native student must earn a grade of "C" or better in a required course, the transfer student shall also be required to earn a "C" or better to meet the same requirement.

Garrett College follows the General Education and Transfer Policies of the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC). Title 13B Subtitle 06 Chapter 01.