Early Childhood Education
Developing a passion for learning starts at an early age. The passion for teaching the youngest of minds should also be fostered and honed to ensure educators are on the leading edge of educational practice.
Why choose Garrett for Early Childhood Education?
Garrett College Teacher Education programs are highly committed to providing pre-service teachers with the highest quality education to properly prepare them for the rigors of teaching in the 21st century. By educating teacher candidates in theory, analytical thinking, practical methods, and the latest proven methods, we strive to give candidates the necessary tools to become effective and efficient educational leaders.
NOTE: Garrett's Early Childhood Education program is designed to prepare students for transfer to a four-year institution. The A.A. degree program discussed here is designed for transfer to institutions outside the state of Maryland. Students planning to transfer within the state of Maryland should follow the Early Childhood Education/Special Education A.A.T. program.
Teacher Education Degrees
Garrett College awards an Associate in Arts degree to graduates of the Teacher Education Early Childhood Education concentration.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate competency in written and oral communication appropriate to their teacher education focus.
- Students will research, analyze, and evaluate learning theories, strategies, and technology relevant to classroom instruction.
- Students will research and apply current instructional strategies, pedagogical trends, and best practices to curriculum development.
- Students will develop and implement various forms of assessment to monitor and manage student learning.
- Students will develop an in-depth understanding of basic concepts, terminology, and techniques appropriate to their area of study in teacher education.
- Students will differentiate instruction for students of all abilities.
- Students will create lesson plans and develop instructional strategies based on state curriculum and INTASC standards.
Students in the Early Childhood Education program get high educational value at Garrett with the following:
- Transferability of most credits in many regional four-year institutions
- Broad educational foundation
- Affordable start to a four-year degree
Garrett's Early Childhood Education program prepares you to transfer to a four-year institution and pursue a career in any of the following general or specialty fields:
- Childrens' programming
- Childrens' literature
Early Childhood Education concentration
Teacher Education A.A. Degree
Total Credit Hours Required 60
Institutional Requirement 1
- FYE101 First Year Experience 1
GER Required (32 credits)
Comp I—Expos Writing
Min. C grade required
Arts and Humanities
- COM101 Intro to Communication 3
- ENG102 Comp II—Intro to Literature 3
American History to 1865
or HIS112 American History since 1865
or HIS121 20th Century World 3
Social and Behavioral Sciences
- PSY101 General Psychology 3
- SOC101 Principles of Sociology 3
BIO101 General Biology
or ESC101 Physical Geology
or ESC121 Physical Geography
or PHY130 Physical Science
or CHE101 General Chemistry 8
Select two GER Science Courses from:
- MAT 105 Mathematics Course 3
- ED246 Educational Technology* 3
Core Courses (8 credits)
- EDU105 Career Analysis in Education* 1
- EDU201 Foundations of Education* 3
- EDU275 Teaching Lab* 1
- SOC211 Social Problems* 3
Concentration Coursework(18 credits)
- ART115 Visual Imagery 3
- EDU101 Early Childhood Educ I* 3
- EDU102 Early Childhood Educ II* 3
- EDU210 Intro Exceptional Individual* 3
- EDU270 Process/Acquisition of Reading* 3
- PSY220 Child Psychology 3
Electives (1 credit)
Choose elective after consultation with advisor.