Remember that amazing fourth-grade teacher that made learning enjoyable? That could soon be you. Start here to begin transforming your passion for teaching into being an inspiring teacher.
Why choose Garrett for Elementary Education?
Garrett College Teacher Education programs are highly committed to providing pre-service teachers with the highest quality education to properly prepare them for the rigors of teaching in the 21st century. By educating teacher candidates in theory, analytical thinking, practical methods, and the latest proven methods, we strive to give candidates the necessary tools to become effective and efficient educational leaders.
NOTE: Garrett's Teacher Education programs are designed to prepare students for transfer to a four-year institution. The A.A. degree program discussed here is designed for transfer to institutions outside the state of Maryland. Students planning to transfer within the state of Maryland should follow the Elementary Education/Special Education A.A.T. program. This AA program is designed for transfer to an out-of-state institution. Students wishing to transfer to a Maryland institution should follow the Elementary Education/Elementary Special Education AAT program.
Teacher Education Degrees
Garrett College awards an Associate in Arts degree to graduates of the Teacher Education Elementary Education concentration.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate competency in written and oral communication appropriate to their teacher education focus.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to research, analyze, and evaluate learning theories, strategies, and technology relevant to classroom instruction.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to research and apply current instructional strategies, pedagogical trends, and best practices to curriculum development.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to develop and implement various forms of assessment to monitor and manage student learning.
- Students will demonstrate an in-depth understanding of basic concepts, terminology, and techniques appropriate to their area of study in teacher education.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to differentiate instruction for students of all abilities.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to create lesson plans and develop instructional strategies based on state curriculum and INTASC standards.
Students in the Elementary Education program get high educational value at Garrett College with the following:
- Transferability of most credits in many regional four-year institutions
- Broad educational foundation
- Affordable start to a four-year degree
Garrett's Elementary Education program prepares you to transfer to a four-year institution and pursue a career in any of the following general or specialty fields:
- Elementary classroom instruction
- Childrens' programming
- Childrens' literature
Elementary Education concentration
Teacher Education A.A. Degree
Total Credit Hours Required 60
Institutional Requirement 1
- FYE101 First Year Experience 1
GER Required Credits 32
Comp I—Expos Writing
Min. C grade required
Arts and Humanities
- COM101 Intro to Communication 3
- ENG102 Comp II—Intro to Literature 3
American History to 1865
or HIS112 American History since 1865
or HIS121 Twentieth Century World 3
Social & Behavioral Science Course
- PSY101 General Psychology 3
- SOC101 Principles of Sociology 3
BIO101 General Biology
or ESC101 Physical Geology
or ESC121 Physical Geography
or PHY130 Physical Science
or CHE101 General Chemistry 8
Select two GER Science Courses from:
- MAT105 College Algebra 3
- EDU246 Educational Technology 3
Core Courses (8 Credits)
- EDU105 Career in Analysis in Education 1
- EDU201 Foundations of Education 3
- EDU275 Teaching Lab 1
- PSY211 Educational Psych 3
Concentration Coursework (18 Credits)
- ART115 Visual Imagery 3
- EDU210 Intro Exceptional Individual 3
- EDU270 Process/Acquisition of Reading 3
- HEA209 Health & PE for Classroom 3
- MAT121 Elementary Math I 3
- MAT122 Elementary Math II 3
Choose elective after consultation with advisor.