Garrett College is proud of its international student population and welcomes new students looking to study in the United States. We have been authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students and issue the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status to students wishing to obtain an F-1 Student Visa.
Applying for admission and securing travel documents are two separate processes. Both require a number of documents to determine eligibility for legal entry into the country. First, you must submit the documents listed in the checklist provided below to be issued an I-20. An I-20 does not guarantee you an F1 Visa. After you have been accepted and receive your I-20, you will begin the process of securing your F1 Visa.
Please note that because completing the process can take several months, the application deadline is June 1 for fall and October 1 for spring.
About Garrett College
Garrett College is located in a scenic, rural location, which is a popular vacation destination. We are in the mountains of Western Maryland in the town of McHenry. We are approximately three hours to Baltimore, Maryland and Washington D.C, and about two hours from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. To learn more about the region where Garrett College is located, visit http://www.visitdeepcreek.com. Garrett College has a strong reputation for academic excellence; a caring and dedicated faculty; academic support services; and over 37 unique programs of study.
How to Apply
If you are ready to start the admissions process, click the links below for more information.
- Admissions Checklist and Documents for Students wishing to apply for an I-20
- College Catalog: For detailed information on admissions policies and procedures for international students, please view our current college catalog.
- Study in the States: The U.S. Department of Homeland Security offers a variety of resources for prospective F1 Visa students to learn about the process and rules for studying in the U.S. as an international Student.
- DACA/Maryland Dream Act Information
Applicants with visa categories other than F1 (student visa) should complete the following steps to be admitted to GC. Please note that international citizens on B-1 or B-2 type Visas generally are not permitted to enroll in credit courses. Prospective students on J-1 Visas can enroll in credit courses but cannot be degree-seeking. Please refer to our current college catalog for more information regarding residency and the visa type held.
- Submit the Admissions Application
- Send copies of visa/immigration documentation to the Garrett College Office of Admissions (originals will need to be presented prior to registration)