Physical Education & Health
Physical Education may be a vague memory for many, but physical activity and healthy living practices we learned stayed with us. Start here to ensure healthy and physically active lifestyles are part of the lives of future students.
Why choose Garrett for Physical Education & Health - Teaching/Coaching?
Garrett College Teacher Education programs are highly committed to providing pre-service teachers with the highest quality education to properly prepare them for the rigors of teaching in the 21st century. By educating teacher candidates in theory, analytical thinking, practical methods, and the latest proven methods, we strive to give candidates the necessary tools to become effective and efficient educational leaders. This concentration gives students the option for those who are interested in teaching and/or coaching.
NOTE: Students wanting to transfer to a four-year institution to pursue a coaching pathway should consider following this concentration.
Teacher Education Degrees
Garrett College awards an Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree to graduates of the Teacher Education Physical Education & Health concentration.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate competency in written and oral communication appropriate to their teacher education focus.
- Students will research, analyze, and evaluate learning theories, strategies, and technology relevant to classroom instruction.
- Students will research and apply current instructional strategies, pedagogical trends, and best practices to curriculum development.
- Students will develop and implement various forms of assessment to monitor and manage student learning.
- Students will develop an in-depth understanding of basic concepts, terminology, and techniques appropriate to their area of study in teacher education.
- Students will differentiate instruction for students of all abilities.
- Students will create lesson plans and develop instructional strategies based on state curriculum and INTASC standards.
Students in the Physical Education & Health – Teaching and/or Coaching concentration get high educational value at Garrett College with the following:
- Transferability of most credits in many regional four-year institutions
- Broad educational foundation
- Affordable start to a four-year degree
Garrett's Physical Education & Health - Teaching and/or Coaching concentration prepares you to transfer to a four-year institution and pursue a career in any of the following general or specialty fields:
- Physical education teacher
- Physical Fitness programming
- Health education
Physical Education & Health, Teaching and/or Coaching concentration
Teacher Education A.A. Degree
Total Credit Hours Required 60
GER Required Credits (32 Credits)
Comp I—Expos Writing
Min. C grade required
Arts and Humanities
- COM101 Intro to Communication 3
- ENG102 Comp II—Intro to Literature 3
American History to 1865
or HIS112 American History since 1865
or HIS121 Twentieth Century World 3
Social and Behavioral Sciences
- PSY101 General Psychology 3
- GEO201 Culture Geography 3
- BIO101 General Biology I 4
- BIO200 Human Anatomy & Phys I 4
or MAT210 Introductory Statistics 3
- EDU246 Educational Technology* 3
Core Courses (8 credits)
- EDU105 Career in Analysis in Education* 1
- EDU201 Foundations of Education* 3
- EDU275 Teaching Lab* 1
- HEA209 Health & PE for Elementary Classroom Teacher* 3
- PSY211 Educational Psych* 3
Concentration Coursework (20 credits)
- BIO130 Principles of Nutrition 3
- HEA152 Foundations of Health Education* 3
- PED117 Personalized Health & Fitness 2
- PED150 First Aid 3
- PED152 Foundations of Physical Education 3