Do you like the sounds of protecting computers from unauthorized access or destruction? Do you want to join the fight against cybercrime? If you are passionate about technology and want to have help others from having their private information stolen, a career in cybersecurity may be the right decision for you.
Why choose a certificate in Cybersecurity?
The Cybersecurity certificate program prepares students for cybersecurity-based careers. Garrett College’s Cybersecurity program allows students to concentrate on a curriculum that provides students with the knowledge and skills that are most in demand within the rapidly changing information technology industry – particularly the cybersecurity field. Courses such as Security+, Net+, and Computer Forensics provide both the knowledge and skills that can enhance employability and job market skills, allowing Garrett students to pursue career changes and/or career advancement in these highly technical fields.
As a result, many GC students earn industry recognized certifications such as A+, Net+, Security+, CCNA and more while studying cybersecurity at Garrett College.
Garrett College awards a Cybersecurity Certificate to graduates. An Associate in Applied Science in Cybersecurity (A.A.S.) is also available.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will communicate using proper technical computer and networking terminology.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to identify risks and threats involving computer assets and data.
- Students will identify, troubleshoot, repair and/or replace PC and laptop hardware components.
- Students will install and update, operate and troubleshoot, configure and secure operating systems in both real and virtual environments.
- Students will understand, design and secure IP networks.
- Students will possess and demonstrate knowledge of core IP protocols, perform penetration testing, analyze results and employ effective countermeasures.
Total Credit Hours Required 27
Required Course Work (17 credits)
- CIS106 Intro to Cybersecurity 3
- CIS160 Operating Systems 4
- CIS220 Networking Fundamentals(Net+) 4
Ethical Hacking, Countermeasure
Cybersecurity Electives (10 credits)
Select from the following (After consultation with advisor) :
- CIS161 PC Maintenance & Repair 4
- CIS163 Intro to Cisco Networking 4
- CIS221 Advanced Routing & Switching 4
- CIS222 WAN Technologies 4
- CIS231 Computer Forensics 3
- CIS232 Advanced Network Security 4
- CIS234 Ethics in the Information Age 3
- CIS235 Introduction to Cyber Law 3
- CIS240 Linux+ 3