The Paramedic Certificate curriculum is designed to provide instruction in the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective domains which will enable students to develop the knowledge and skills required for work in the emergency medical services (EMS) field.
Areas of study include human anatomy and physiology, airway management, patient assessment, medical and trauma emergencies, clinical skills, professional ethics and other related topics. Students enrolled in this program are taught to work in the field as an extension of the emergency room.
Gainful employment disclosure for program completers
Paramedic Certificate Awarded
Garrett College awards graduates a Paramedic Certificate. The training program is available for college-level credit or as a non-credit program through Continuing Education & Workforce Development
The Paramedic training program operates on a two-year cycle, in which students are admitted in the fall of even numbered years. Admission to Garrett College does not guarantee admission to the Paramedic Certificate Program; specific eligibility and admission requirements must be met.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate competency in verbal and written skills, particularly those skills that enhance communication with patients and hospital staff.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to critically analyze multifaceted emergency medicine problems/issues and develop and evaluate potential options and proposed solutions.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in twenty-five clinical skills that will enable them to deliver appropriate pre-hospital care to patients in a variety of emergency settings.
- Students will demonstrate mastery of the fundamental knowledge, skills, and abilities required for success as a certified Paramedic by achieving a passing score on the National Registry exam.
Program Approval & Accreditation
The paramedic program at Garrett College is approved by Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems (MIEMSS).
Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Service Systems
653 West Pratt Street
The Garrett College paramedic program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
25400 US Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
8301 Lakeview Parkway Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088
(214) 709-8992 (fax)
The over-arching goal of the Paramedic program at Garrett College is to prepare competent entry-level Paramedics in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
In accordance with the requirements of Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP), the Paramedic program at Garrett College is pleased to report the following data:
- Retention: 87%
- NRP Written pass rate: 75%
- NRP Psychomotor pass rate: 93%
- Maryland Paramedic pass rate 93%
- Job placement: 100%
- No graduates during the 2017 reporting year.
- Our program is a 2-year program with graduation on even years
Total Credit Hours Required 30
Fall (7 credits)
- EMS120 Anat & Phys for EMS Providers (3)
- EMS130 EMS Preparatory (1.5)
- EMS132 Paramedic Patient Assessment (.5)
- EMS150 Paramedic Lab I (1)
- EMS170 Paramedic Clinical I (.5)
Spring (10.5 credits)
- EMS133 Paramedic Medical (4)
- EMS134 Paramedic Trauma (2)
- EMS135 Paramedic Operations & Spec Cons (1)
- EMS151 Paramedic Lab II (1.5)
- EMS171 Paramedic Clinical II (2)
Fall (5 credits)
- EMS230 Paramedic Preparatory (1)
- EMS231 Paramedic Airway II (1)
- EMS233 Paramedic Trauma II (.5)
- EMS250 Paramedic Lab III (1)
- EMS270 Paramedic Clinical III (1.5)
Spring (7.5 credits)
- EMS234 Paramedic Medical II (1.5)
- EMS235 Paramedic Spec Considerations (1.5)
- EMS251 Paramedic Lab IV (1.5)
- EMS271 Paramedic Clinical IV (3)