Types Of Students - Garrett College
Apply Now
Plan a Visit
Request Info
Make a Gift

Types of Students

International Students

Garrett College is proud of its international student population and welcomes new students looking to study in the United States. We have been authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students and issue the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status to students wishing to obtain an F-1 Student Visa.

Applying for admission and securing travel documents are two separate processes involving both Garrett College and the U.S. Federal Government. Both require a number of documents to determine eligibility for legal entry into the country.

The Office of Admissions will be glad to provide you with the information you need to consider applying as an international student. Please note that because completing the process can take several months, the application deadline is June 1 for fall and October 1 for spring. For more information regarding the international student admissions process, please contact our approved representative below.

Primary Designated School Official

Contact: Melissa S. Wass, Coordinator of Admissions
Email: melissa.wass@garrettcollege.edu
Phone: 301-387-3746
Fax: 301-387-3038

HS Dual Enrollment Students

Garrett College has a wide selection of courses available for students wishing to be dually enrolled in both high school and college courses. High School students over the age of 16 are encouraged to take advantage of the dual enrollment opportunities provided by Garrett College. Dual Enrolled students living within the state of Maryland are eligible for a 50% tuition waiver.

Eligible Northern Garrett, Southern Garrett, and Garrett County Home-schooled students may also be eligible for the County Scholarship Program, which will pay for the remaining 50% of tuition. The student is responsible for the $25 registration fee and course fees.

Students wishing to enroll in the dual enrollment program can do so in four easy steps:

  1. Take Accuplacer/placement assessment
  2. Complete the Garrett College New High School Dual Students Registration Form
  3. Complete the minor release form with parent/guardian’s signature
  4. Pay the course registration fee of $25 (per semester)

Transfer Students

Students wishing to transfer to Garrett College after they have attended another institution of higher education are admissible upon receipt of an application for admission and official college transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Transcripts must be received by the Records and Registration Office in a sealed, stamped envelope or by an accepted electronic transcript service.

Home-schooled Students

Home-schooled students who are 16 years of age and older should follow the College’s standard application procedures for admissions. However, in keeping with guidelines provided by the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR 13B.02.02), consideration for admission of such students will include the evaluation of the student’s results on the placement test administered by the College. The home-schooled student must submit official high school transcripts and may submit other evidence of his/her ability to benefit, such as ACT or SAT scores. As with all applicants under the age of 16 years, home-schooled students under the age of 16 years must qualify as gifted and talented.

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Garrett College welcomes students wishing to take courses as personal interest, professional development, or to transfer credits to another institution. Students not seeking a degree or certificate will need to submit a Non-Degree Student Application at the time of registration. High School and/or college transcripts are not required unless needed to satisfy course pre-requisites. Non-Degree Seeking Students are not eligible to receive financial aid. To get more information regarding the upcoming course schedule, please click here.